Wednesday, February 24, 2010

the way things were




The most alive I have ever felt was standing in the middle of an ancient villa in the ruins of Pompeii. It almost brought me to tears. I felt like I was more connected to the world as I had ever and would ever be. Why?
It was the idea that people...2,000 years ago...had actually seen what I was seeing and stood where I was standing. What I would give to have that feeling with me every second of the day. 
How incredible would it be to live in a house whose walls had seen children grow up just as you were, families starting just as yours would be and new lives coming in and out. How magical to go to a school where knowledge had flowed in and out for centuries. How inspiring. 
It is now a rarity to be able to visit the house your grandmother grew up in or even to see the drug store your mother ordered "soda" at in her cat-eye glasses. But think...how much more connected, meaningful and beautiful the world would be...if we kept things the way they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment